Looking for a salad that is creamy, rich, and full of nutrients? Look no further! Guacamole!!!! Made from avocados, guacamole is full of vitamin K, vitamin C, fiber and potassium. It’s delicious alone as a salad, as a dip with corn chips, on a sandwich, or to calm down the heat from spicy bean soup or burritos or tacos.
- 3 ripe avocados
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- juice from 1 lemon or lime
- 1 teaspoon of salt (or more to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon of white pepper (or more to your taste)
1. Wash the avocados. Using a knife, cut from one end of the avocado all the way around until you reach the other end, slicing the avocado horizontally around the pit.
2. Holding the top in one hand and the bottom in the other, twist the two sides and pull apart. The pit will remain in one of the sides.
3. Remove the pit. This is pretty easily done by slightly smacking your knife into the pit so that gets imbedded in the pit a ways. Then, twist the knife and the pit should easily pull out.
4. Now for the fun part. Scoop out the “flesh” of the avocado with a spoon.
5. Continue this for all the avocados. Using a fork, mash the avocado until it becomes creamy.
6. Add the chopped onion, chopped tomato, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon.
7. Mix well. Serve with chips, bread, on a sandwich, or whichever way strikes your fancy!
Tips for Choosing Ripe Avocados
This recipe will only work if your avocados are ripe. To be sure you have a ripe avocado, check for these signs:
- When slightly squeezed, ripe avocados will be soft and not firm. (But not too soft!)
- Ripe avocados are usually dark green or almost black.
- The stem will appear to be popping off.
- You can buy avocados before they are ripe and keep them out at room temperature. In a few days’ time, they should be ready to eat. If they are ready before you are, just store them in the fridge until you want to use them.
Where to Buy Avocados In Cairo
- Alfa Market
- Royal House