Recently CNN’s Sanjay Gupta did a documentary called Last Heart Attack. In it, he investigates how diet can prevent, reverse damage from, and even protect against heart disease. Among Gupta’s guests is former President of the United States, Bill Clinton, who recently lost a significant amount of weight from a change to a more plant-based diet. To watch the entire documentary, click here.
Several important, and perhaps surprising points presented in the documentary are:
- According to some research, you can actually become ‘heart attack proof’ as a result of a plant-based (or vegan) diet.
- Since eating is the reason we are suffering from high cholesterol, heart disease and heart attacks, eating could and should be a solution.
- “Your genes are not your fate.” No matter how much ‘risk’ you have, you are not bound to your genes. Your diet makes a difference!
- 1 heart attack happens every 30 seconds in the United States.
- Even doctors who do see the benefits of an entirely plant-based (or vegan) diet may not recommend it to patients. (They think it’s too hard and people won’t do it).
- Some people who appear healthy can have a heart attack with no warning symptoms.
- New technology, coronary calcium scans, can help detect the presence of plaque early.
- Heart attacks are the biggest killer of men and women in the United States and are “COMPLETELY PREVENTABLE”.
- Your cholesterol number is not necessarily what is important. What is important is the size of the ‘bad’ cholesterol particles (small is bad!).
- “Stents, drugs, and bypasses are not the cure – because they do not treat the CAUSE of the illness.”
- A lot of women don’t experience classic symptoms of heart attacks.
- Certain cultures around the world have no incidence of heart disease. NONE! (Could diet be the reason?)
- Research shows that the more people changed their diet or lifestyle, the more they improved – in DIRECT PROPORTION.
- Plant-based (or vegan) diets can not only prevent heart disease but actually REVERSE it.
- Plaque starts building in childhood!
We decided to share this documentary with you because the realization of how much of an impact diet has on our health is almost revolutionary. What is now a number one killer is entirely preventable. Changing your diet may seem difficult, but it can be done with support, resources, and faith in yourself.
We want to offer you a bit of that support and resources so that you can make those small steps toward a healthier diet. Although there was not much discussion about the TASTE of the plant-based (or vegan) foods making up these healthier diets in the documentary, as vegans, we can assure you that THEY TASTE DELICIOUS! Not only the recipes on our blog, but many cookbooks, other blogs, and internet resources (please see our resource page for some), provide an abundance of ideas for creating delectable and nutritious meals.
As Dr. Dean Ornish says in the video, once you start to make the change, you “reframe the reason for making these changes from ‘fear of dying’ to joy of living. And joy is what’s sustainable!”
So be joyful!!!