It was hard to choose which of our recipes to feature in our first recipe post on Alf Hana. In the end, this recipe, a favorite of many of our friends, won out. It can be served as a special festive dessert, a quick breakfast and a light snack. In fact, we have prepared it as a whole cake, small mini cakes, and even cupcakes. It’s a very versatile recipe! Don’t forget to check out the nutrition info at the end of the post!
110 ml tofu (firm) OR 4 tablespoons of corn starch mixed with 4 tablespoons of water
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cup cooking oil
3 cups plain flour (or 1 1/2 cups plain flour and 1 1/2 cups brown flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups apples, pealed and chopped
2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350° or between gas mark 4 and 5.
2. Oil and flour a tube pan, cup cake tin or mini cake tin.
3. Peel and chop apples.
4. Beat tofu (or mix corn starch and water well). (The corn starch mix is pictured below.)
5. Add sugar and oil. Beat for 3 minutes. (When using corn starch, I do this using a whisk, but when using tofu, it’s best to do this in a food processor).
6. Sift remaining dry ingredients together and add slowly to the creamed mixture.
7. Add apples and vanilla. Stir until well mixed. (It will be a thick mixture.)
8. Bake in the tube pan at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave in the pan until almost cool. (If you are making smaller cakes or cupcakes, bake for about half the time – about 37 minutes.)
Veganized from a recipe by Hilda Wilds
Here is the same recipe as a minicake: