Here’s an easy recipe for Egyptian rice. We’ve altered it slightly from the traditional rice in order to make it vegan and a bit more healthy, but it definitely hits the spot! Everyone (even my Egyptian friends who are a bit picky) really like this – even with the twists we’ve added!
So, here it goes!
- 1/2 cup brown rice*
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1/4 cup vermicelli
- 1 tablespoon of corn oil
- 1 veggie bouillon cube
- 1 and 1/2 cups of water
1. Pick over and then wash the rice. (*You can use 1 whole cup of white rice if you like, rather than 1/2 brown and 1/2 white. However, the addition of the brown rice adds protein and fiber and really is not that noticeable when mixed with the white.)
2. Heat the oil. Add the vermicelli and fry until golden brown.
3. Add the rice. Break up the veggie bouillon cube and add. Stir.
4. Add the water. Make sure it completely covers the rice. You can add more if it doesn’t.
5. Bring to a boil then decrease the heat to a simmer.
6. Cover and cook from 35-45 minutes on low heat.