It was a struggle to pick out which recipe we would share today on World Vegan Day and the first day of Vegan MoFo. But, at last, we decided it would have to Mary’s favorite dish: Okra. As someone who never cared much for okra, believe me, this is a delicious recipe!
This recipe is based on Mary’s mother’s recipe.
- 1 bag of frozen okra
- 5 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt (or regular table salt)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- about 1 liter of water (depending on the consistency you want)
1. Heat oil. Add onions and garlic. Cook about 3 minutes.
2. Add salt and crumble in the bouillon cube.
3. Add frozen okra, stir.
4. Add tomatoes and water.
5. Lower heat, cover, and simmer about 30 minutes or until okra is tender.
6. Serve over rice.
Nutrition information: (per 100 grams)
Calories: 21; Fat: 1g; Carbohydrates: 3g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 1g