Oh, dear lentil, how I love thee!!!! Let me count the ways!!!
One of the easiest ways is this brown lentil soup. Egyptians affectionately call it ‘lentils with a hat’. It packs a powerful protein punch, is full of iron and fiber and low on fat and calories. Perfect!
- 2 cups dried brown lentils
- 8 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
1. Wash the lentils and pick out any small stones or dirt.
2. Put them in a large pot with the water, bouillon cubes, and garlic.
3. Cover and cook on low heat for 45 minutes to an hour.
4. Salt to taste.
Nutrition Information: (per 100 grams)
Calories: 51; Fat: 0g; Carbohydrates: 9g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 4g
Serving suggestions and variations:
Serve this with raw green or red onions and pita or baladi (or pita) bread.
Also, you may add greens like chard to add flavor and nutrients.