Well, it’s the end of the first week of VeganMoFo. We hope you have been enjoying our Egyptian veganized recipes! We sure have been enjoying all the love you’ve sent our way! Thanks!
Here’s a round up of what we’ve posted so far, just in case you missed something this week.
So, to top off this week’s feasts, we’re sharing a recipe for rice pudding. It’s one of Mary’s favorites!
1. Place rice and water in a pot. Bring to a boil. Stir occasionally.
2. Boil gently, uncovered for about 15 minutes. (Most of the water will be gone.)
3. Stir in the milk and salt. Simmer on low heat, covered, for 40 minutes. Check frequently and watch that the mixture doesn’t dry out or burn. Stir occasionally. (I put the pot on the smallest burner and used a flat stainless protector between the fire and the pot to prevent burning.)
4. Add sugar and vanilla and mix.
5. Cook another 10 minutes, covered.
6. Dish into small serving bowls. Serve hot or cold. (If serving cold, it’s best to leave it in the fridge for at least 2 hours.)
Nutrition Information (per serving):
Calories: 150; Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 0g; Carbohydrates: 30g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 3g
Serving Suggestions and Variations
- This version leaves the pudding a tiny bit liquidy. If you like yours thicker, decrease the amount of milk OR add a little cornstarch.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, chopped nuts, raisins, or coconut.
- Use brown rice.