Oh, creaminess, please avoid my hips!!!
Egyptians frequently serve macaroni and other vegetables in a white sauce. The most famous dish served has to be macaroni with white sauce, which we will be featuring in week 4 of VeganMoFo (so you’ll just have to wait!).
In the meantime, we thought we’d share this delectable wonder of creaminess with you.
Use a small rectangular casserole dish, about 10 x 7 inches or about 25 x 18 cm
4 medium zucchinis, cut in pieces (about 500 g)
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon celery seeds (optional)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
For the béchamel sauce:
1/2 cup corn oil
1/2 cup flour
3 cups non-dairy milk (we used soy)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Pre-heat the over to gas mark 5 (375 degrees F, or 190 degrees C)
Make the zucchini mix:
1. In a skillet or pot, fry the onion and garlic in olive oil for about 2 minutes until tender.
2. Add the salt, celery seeds and tomato paste. Fry another 2 minutes.
3. Add the zucchini and tomato. Fry another 5-10 minutes.
4. Put the cooked mix in the casserole dish.
Make the béchamel sauce:
5. Heat the oil, add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
6. Add the milk and bring to a boil. Continue to stir and cook for another minute.
7. Add the salt and pepper.
8. When the sauce has thickened, pour over the zucchini mix.
9. Cook the casserole in the preheated oven for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
Serving Suggestions and Variations:
- Serve with rice
Nutritional Information (1 portion of 6)
Calories: 307; Fat: 23 g; Cholesterol: 0g; Carbohydrates: 23g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 6g