PUMPKIN!! We have a lot of it! We stuffed a pumpkin for our Thanksgiving meal and we are still trying out new recipes with the left-overs! This one turned out so tasty we knew we’d have to share it with you!!!
This recipe is based on this recipe from the Post Punk Kitchen, but we changed it up a bit to make it lower in fat and because not all the ingredients are available here in Egypt. The result is an airy, sweet, delicious cakey chocolate chip square with fall flavor that will knock your socks off!!!! MMMMMMMMM….
Makes 24 medium-sized squares
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
⅔ cup of applesauce
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flax seeds, ground
3 tablespoons water
2 packets of granulated vanilla, or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup pumpkin purée
2 cups semisweet non-dairy chocolate chips
1. Choose a pan that is 9 x 13 inches (or 23 x 33 cm). We used glass.
2. Cover the pan with foil so that the foil is over the edges.
3. Using a whisk, mix the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
4. Again, using a whisk, mix the applesauce and sugar until well mixed. Add the vanilla, water and ground flax seeds. Add the pumpkin purée to the mix.
5. When the wet ingredients are well-mixed, add the dry ingredients and the chips.
6. Spread into the pan so that it is evenly distributed.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes. You will know that the squares are done when a toothpick inserted into the middle of the mix comes out clean.
8. Let cool entirely. Lift the squares out of the pan, using the foil. Cut into 24 squares while still on the foil.
9. Using a wooden spatula, remove each square and store in an air-tight container.
Nutritional information (1 of 24 squares):
Calories: 117, Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 0g; Carbohydrates: 19g, Fiber: 2g; Protein: 2g