One of our favorite meals during the holiday season is this green bean casserole. It’s really delicious and full of winter flavors.
1 bag of frozen cut green beans
1 1/2 cups soy milk
1 cube vegetable bouillon cube
3 tablespoons corn starch mixed with 3 tablespoons cold water
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 carrot, diced
3/4 cup chopped mushrooms
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1. Heat soy milk and veggie bouillon in a saucepan, stirring until bouillon cube disintegrates. Do not let it boil.
2. Fry the onions, carrots, and mushrooms in the oil in a skillet for 3-5 minutes. 3. Add salt, pepper, and herbs and spices.
4. Mix the starch and water well, and pour into the soymilk/bouillon.
5. Stir well, because this will get thick quickly.
6. Add the green beans to the sautéed veggies, along with the milk and bouillon mixture. Cook for about 7-8 minutes or until the green beans are tender.
7. Pour that mixture into a casserole dish or pan and top with bread crumbs or crumbled crackers.
8. Bake in oven at about 375 degrees (F) or gas mark 5 (190 degrees C) for 30-45 minutes.
Nutritional information 1 serving (157 g):
Calories: 101; Fat: 4 g; Cholesterol: 0 g; Carbohydrates: 13 g; Fiber: 3 g; Protein: 3 g