If you like chili, you will love this recipe! It’s such a tasty way to get loads of protein. We especially like it on a cold day.
2 cups TVP
6 cups water, divided
1 vegetable bouillon cube
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
5 tomatoes, fresh
1 package of tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 ½ cups cooked kidney beans
Prepare the TVP:
1. Heat 2 cups of water and the bouillon cube until the cube dissolves.
2. Pour the bouillon mixture over the TVP. Leave it to rehydrate about 15 minutes.
Prepare the chili:
3. Cook the onion, garlic and green pepper in the olive oil until the onion becomes transparent.
4. Add the rehydrated TVP and soy sauce. Cook until the mix is well browned.
5. Transfer this to a large pot.
6. Add the chili powder, jalapeno pepper, tomatoes, tomato paste, 4 cups of water, cumin, marjoram, thyme and beans. Mix well.
7. Cover and cook for 1 ½ – 2 hours.
Serving Suggestions and Variations:
1. Serve with garlic bread, corn bread, or pita bread.
2. Serve on a baked potato.
3. Experiment with different kinds of beans – black beans, chick peas, white beans, adzuki beans.
193 Calories, 0 g Cholesterol, 3 g Fat, 26 g Carbohydrates, 9 g Fiber, 18 g Protein