500 g eggplant, with skin, sliced (1 medium-sized eggplant)
oil for brushing
3 cups TVP
3 cups water
2 bouillon cubes
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon water
½ cup tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (or ½ tablespoon of dried)
½ teaspoon sugar
⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons corn oil
2 tablespoons + ½ teaspoon flour
1 cup of non-dairy milk (we used soymilk)
1/16 teaspoon of nutmeg
salt and black pepper to taste
Prepare the eggplant.
1. Cut eggplant into slices (leave the skin on). Sprinkle with salt and leave sit for about an hour. Pat dry.
3. Once the eggplant slices are browned on the one side, turn them, brush with oil and brown the other side for another 5 minutes.
4. Put the TVP in a large bowl. Set aside.
5. In a medium sauce pan, heat the 3 cups of water and the 2 bouillon cubes. Once they have boiled and become broth, pour over the 3 cups of TVP and let sit for about 15 minutes until the TVP has absorbed the broth.
6. In a large sauce pan, heat the one tablespoon of oil and one tablespoon of water and add the onion and garlic. Fry until lightly browned.
7. Add the reconstituted TVP and the tomatoes, tomato paste, soy sauce, parsley, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and black pepper. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes.
8. Heat the corn oil in a small pan and add the flour. Cook for about 2 minutes until bubbling.
9. Add the nondairy milk. Stir constantly and let the sauce boil for about 1 minute.
10. Remove the cream sauce from the heat and add the nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
Prepare the moussaka:
11. In a 9 x 9 inch (23 cm x 23 cm) casserole dish, brush a bit of oil and then arrange a layer of eggplant slices on the bottom (try to use about ⅓ of the slices). Top this layer with half of the meat sauce. Add another layer of eggplant, top with the rest of the meat sauce, and then finish with the final third of the sliced eggplant.
Nutritional Information: 1 of 6 pieces
326 Calories; 12g Fat; 0mg Cholesterol; 29g Carbohydrates; 12g Fiber; 25g Protein
- Pharaoh’s Friday #9: Eggplant Salad (Babaganoug) (alfhana.wordpress.com)