Recently, I attended a cooking class in Egypt. It was sponsored by the Healthy Life Center and was all about cooking vegetarian food. We had a lot of fun and in one day, we made 8 different vegetarian dishes using all kinds of pasta. The classes are usually held in a series. We will definitely post the upcoming series so you can attend, too!
One of the delicious, nutritious dishes we made was minestrone. Minestrone is such a versatile soup – you could do almost anything you want with it!!! The version we made is on the traditional side, using lima beans. Remember we told you about lima beans in a recent post? But, if you can’t find them dried, they’re available in a can, too. AND, if you just want to use your favorite bean – FEEL FREE to improvise!
One of the great things about this dish is that it is highly nutritious and filling. That makes it perfect for those of us watching our weights! For example, in one serving of this soup, you get 151% of your daily requirement for Vitamin A!
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
6 cups water
1 bouillon cube, crumbled
½ cup of small pasta
1 package (450 g) frozen mixed vegetables (or substitute fresh)
1 can lima beans (450 g) (or soak and cook your own)
1. Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until onions are translucent.
2. Add the crumbled the bouillon cube, tomato paste, basil and marjoram and stir to mix.
3. Add the water, pasta, frozen (or fresh) vegetables, cooked beans.
4. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the pasta is completely cooked.
Nutrition Information: 1 of 4 servings
296 Calories; 4 g Fat; 0 mg Cholesterol; 53 g Carbohydrates; 12 g Fiber; 13 g Protein
Serving Suggestions and Variations:
- Use different beans
- Use your favorite vegetables
- Serve with garlic bread or crackers
- Add some hot peppers for a spicy twist
- Add more greens!
- Looking for vegetarian and vegan goodies in Egypt? Try Health Harvest. (alfhana.wordpress.com)
- Pharaoh’s Friday #13: Pureed Potatoes with Black Beans (alfhana.wordpress.com)
- Chickpea and Corn Curry (alfhana.wordpress.com)
- Pharaoh’s Friday #12: Meatless Eggplant and Cream Pie (Moussaka) (alfhana.wordpress.com)
- Summer Stir Fry (alfhana.wordpress.com)