The basic foods of many cultures are actually vegan. From Chinese to Indian to Mexican and Egyptian – you will find that the staples, the traditional foods of many cultures, are usually plant-based. So it is with Mexican food. But, if you know what a quesadilla is, you know that it is NOT plant-based.
If you order a quesadilla in a regular Mexican restaurant, you will find a creamy, cheese-filled tortilla with lots of toppings (and sometimes sauces!). This recipe will give you that creaminess and tang of the cheese without the dairy, cholesterol, and fat! Best of all, the filling makes it a meal on its own.
***Warning: If you make this for guests – you will NOT have left overs. This is one of the meals we make a lot for our friends and they absolutely love it!!!
12 tortillas (You can buy these in major supermarkets [Metro, Royal House, Oscar, Spinneys, etc.] here in Cairo)
1 recipe of refried beans
½ cup hummus (You can make your own or buy ready-made)
½ spicy Mexican tomato salsa (You can find this also in major supermarkets here in Cairo)
oil for frying
1. On a plate, lay out one tortilla as a base.
2. Spread a few spoons of the refried beans until the entire side of the tortilla is covered.
3. Spread another few spoons of the hummus.
4. Finish by spreading a few spoons of the salsa.
5. Top with another tortilla.
6. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a skillet on medium heat for a few seconds. Place the prepared quesadilla in the skillet and fry until browned. This will take 3-5 minutes.
7. Once the bottom is browned, flip and brown the other side. This should take another 3 minutes or so.
8. Remove and slice into 4 pieces with a pizza cutter.
Serving Suggestions and Variations:
- Serve with guacamole.
- Serve with salsa on top.
- Serve with salad on top.
- Use black beans instead of refried beans.
- If you want to heat up left-overs, heat them in the oven for about 5 minutes.
Nutrition Information: (1 serving = 2 quarters or one half a quesadilla)
250 Calories; 6 g Fat; 0 mg Cholesterol; 41 g Carbohydrates; 5 g Fiber; 9g Protein
- Refried Beans (alfhana.wordpress.com)