What do you do with your bowl of cherries?
Yes, cherries are in season in Egypt and we have been having lots of fun finding way to make special treats with our cherries!
Here’s a cherry recipe that features that most amazing combination: cherries and chocolate! Who could resist?
1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
½ cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup apple sauce
2 tablespoons of oil
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with 4 tablespoons of water
2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
½ – 1 cup of nondairy dark chocolate chunks or chipsInstructions:
1. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
2. Beat applesauce, oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl. Add the cornstarch and beat.
3. Gradually beat in the flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and cherries.
4. Spread into a large cookie sheet covered with aluminum foil.
5. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until firm. Let stand for 2 minutes.
6. Remove and cool completely on wire racks. Cut into squares.
118 Calories; 3 g Fat; 0 mg Cholesterol; 23 g Carbohydrates; 1 g Fiber; 1 g Protein