2 400 g cans of pinto beans, washed and drained
1 onion, chopped fine
3 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
1 fresh green jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and chopped fine (optional)
2 teaspoon paprika powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. In a skillet, heat the olive oil and onions for 2 minutes.
3. Add spices and stir for 30 seconds. Don’t let them burn or stick to the pan.
4. Add the beans and stir fry for 3 minutes, making sure the spices have coated the beans.
5. Add chopped tomatoes, stir for another few minutes.
6. Add tomato paste and stir through.
7. When the beans are soft enough, mash them either with a potato masher. You can mash them to the consistency you like. Some people want creamy refried beans and others like to have whole beans in the mix.
8. Remove from the heat and serve as you like.
- Serve as a filling for hearty no-queso quesadillas.
- Use in burritos, tacos, on nachos…
- Serve as a side dish…
- Add more jalapeno peppers or chili powder to up the spiciness!
- Experiment with other kinds of beans.
Nutrition Information: 1 of 6 servings
172 Calories; 4 g Fat; 0 mg Cholesterol; 29 g Carbohydrates; 8 g Fiber; 8 g Protein
*This recipe is filling and highly nutritious, and is therefore rated as an excellent choice for weight loss.
- Spicy Pinto Bean Soup (alfhana.wordpress.com)
- Hearty Minestrone (alfhana.wordpress.com)
- Pharaoh’s Friday #13: Pureed Potatoes with Black Beans (alfhana.wordpress.com)