Don’t you love summer fruits? There are so many delicious, colorful, nutritious options to choose from! We are especially enjoying the CHERRIES!!! We recently posted one recipe using cherries – black forest bars. But we didn’t stop there!!! If you have a sweet tooth, you’ll love these crumbly squares!
For the filling:
2 cups cherries, pitted and chopped
2 ½ tablespoons sugar
1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
½ tablespoon lemon juice
⅛ teaspoon vanilla
Make the filling:
1. Mix the cherries, sugar, and cornstarch. Let sit for 15 minutes.
2. Add the lemon juice and vanilla.
3. Heat over low heat for about 5 minutes until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
Make the crumble:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C or gas mark 4).
4. In a bowl, mix flour, oats, brown sugar, ground flaxseed and baking soda.
5. Add the oil and mix until thoroughly combined.
6. In a 8 x 8 – inch pan (20 x 20 cm), firmly press half the flour mixture, making a base for the crumble.
7. Bake for 20 minutes.
8. Spread the filling on the cooked base and press the other half of the flour mixture to make the top.
9. Bake for another 20 minutes.
10. Cool completely.
11. Cut into bars and serve.
258 Calories; 11 g Fat; 0 mg Cholesterol; 37 g Carbohydrates; 3 g Fiber; 4 g Protein
- Black Forest Bars (alfhana.wordpress.com)